- Review PPDP, and redraft – I’ve revised my expectations a little, and spotted a few areas that I really need to develop
- Talk to my line manager about goals – still need to find time
- Make contact with my mentor, and put our initial meeting in the diary – we’ve met, and we’ve agreed to stay in touch via email initially as she’s on maternity leave
- Catch up with Delicious bookmarks – done
Much of the same this week, and I’m starting to look at portfolio items. With starting work and CPD23, I’m losing sight of chartership a bit, but CPD23 will be part of my portfolio so I guess that counts!
I’m a bit worried that my PPDP goals are too unrealistic too, so I’m going to redraft them.
- Review PPDP, and redraft, now that I’m back at work and can remember what it is I do!
- Talk to my line manager about goals
- Make contact with my mentor, and put our initial meeting in the diary
- Catch up with Delicious bookmarks
I’m going to keep a work diary every week so I can track what I’ve done, and try to reflect before the start of the next week, to pick out portfolio tasks. I do like lists!
Monday June 27
- Went through emails (first day back after 9 months, rather a lot of deleting!)
- From the Archive pieces for July 7 and 8 – found and edited articles on striking dockers (1923) and Brian Jones (1969)
- Guardian Films query – El Salvador journos/photogs in 1980s/1990s – checked Factiva and our internal text archive for articles with datelines, suggested digital archive for pics
Tuesday June 28
- Factiva training – haven’t used it for a few years, good reminder of connectors, searching, sources, alerts, introduction to new workspace feature
- Query about fish and chip shops – statistics, history – Factiva articles search, internal text archive to fill in gaps, Google search for source for stats
- Query about Sarah Helm – background info, interviews, news stories – Factiva and internal text archive search
- Had a look over the intranet to see what needs improving, reorganising
- Updated Afghanistan casualty lists for intranet and Datablog
- Wrote a blog post to accompany the Brian Jones archive piece next week
I think I managed a little better with more realistic goals this week (although with the number of articles I tag every day I think ‘catching up with Delicious’ will be a regular feature!).
- Read portfolio examples – done
- Draft PPDP – I read the presentation on PPDP (from Cilip site), took notes and carried out the task to identify key training and development needs. The brainstorming session was really useful in pinpointing what I really need to work on. I’ve made a draft and I’m going to discuss it with my mentor in a few weeks, once she’s over the early baby days! I’m going to talk to my manager too, now I’m back at work.
- Catch up on Delicious articles – done
Powerpoint presentation on Writing your PPDP (CILIP site)
Flow chart to help write PPDP
Need — Action required to meet need; people required to meet need; timescale — Outcome — Review date & outcomes achieved
- Identify key tasks and responsiblities in current role
- Check against asessment criteria
- Run a development need analysis
- Review it regularly, change as necessary, talk to line manager and colleagues about your training/development needs
- Work on your contributions to the profession – involvement in online & real world groups, meetings etc, visits
- Reflect on your own needs for 5 mins
- Discuss actions, outcomes and timescale with others for 20 mins
Trying to keep it simple this week, so I can really focus on where I want to get to on my Chartership journey.
- Read more Chartership portfolio examples
- Write a proper draft PPDP
- Catch up on articles I’ve added to my Delicious bookmarks list
- Ask about the CILIP Umbrella conference – I’ve registered for the Wednesday of the conference, exciting!
- Look into the next LIKE event – unfortunately I can’t get the night off (even more so because it’s Martin Belam of the Guardian speaking)
- Reread my notes on Building Your Portfolio by Margaret Watson – done
- Read portfolio examples - I’ve had a look at a couple but I want to read a broader range (see Cilip site)
- Work on my PPDP – I’ve made some notes but it’s a work in progress!
Four out of five isn’t bad!
- Get my MSc certificate signed – copied and signed at my local branch
- Post it - check
- Ask about backdating evidence – have emailed Cilip Qualifications
- Find a Career Development Group – I’m already a member of the London group, and I’m keeping an eye on the events calendar for anything interesting and useful
- Arrange a mentor meeting - the only one I’ve failed, but she had a baby at the weekend so she’s otherwise occupied at the moment! Once she’s home and settled I’ll arrange everything by email until she’s ready to face the outside world again
I’m definitely one for lists. Maybe it’s because I’m a librarian – I like to see all the information in my brain neatly ordered and put in place. Or maybe it’s just because I’m a bit scatty and liable to forget if I don’t write things down!
Anyway, I’m going to write a ‘to do’ list every week so I can keep on top of chartership goals. Week one – organise the admin.
- Get Masters certificate photocopied and signed so I can actually…
- …post my Chartership application form
- Ask about backdating the evidence (I’ve been qualified for nearly a decade so there’s plenty to go on!)
- Check for a Career Development Group
- Make a date with my mentor to discuss my PPDP